Login:

Forgotten password?
Not registered? Click here.
Forum Quicklinks:  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MembersMembers GroupsGroups

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: England
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:19 pm 

Now, the Algerians were never going to lie down and let us walk over them, and we know that England aren't really on great form... but really.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm shocked at how shitting, twatting, arsing, jesus-rapingly awful we were. I really can't think of when we last played quite so piss wankingly badly.

We couldn't complete simple, short range passes. We couldn't keep possession. And we couldn't muster any real threat going forward at all.

And when it was clearly not going at all to plan, why wouldn't Capello do what EVERYONE else knows needs doing and bring Gerrard back inside, probably bringing on Joe Cole, as Dyer said yesterday on another thread somewhere.

Post subject: Re: England
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 am 

The only crumb of comfort to which I am clinging is the fact that our results so far are very similar to the first two games at Italia 90.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:22 pm 

Somebody (Chiles? Lineker? I can't remember) said "At least we're not as bad as France". But I'm not even sure about that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:12 pm 

Marina Hyde in The Guardian:

To draw one eminently winnable group match is unfortunate, to draw two begins to look as if England are six kinds of crap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:45 pm 

Ha! Genius. I do like Ms Hyde's turn of phrase.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 am 

I can't help but notice that in the popular press players not selected thus far are increasing in talent and importance by the moment.

Gareth Barry was our saviour last week and now Young Joe Cole (who to be fair I have always rated - which should perhaps set alarm bells ringing in itself) a player deemed surplus to requirements by the last three Chelsea managers and who has played barely a competetive fixture since christmas now has lightening in his boots and the ability of Pele and Eusebios lovechild.

He it is who will "unlock" this England team. Yeah, that's the problem we're "locked".

Or we need "passion" apparently. Because "passion" helps you control a ball, pick out a pass...shoot straight...

Or "tempo" apparently we should play with "tempo"... when what these fools actually mean is "speed" - tempo is a thing of precision, regularity, rythm, control. It's what we want but it's not what the pundits are asking for.

Oh and no one understands why these players aren't playing like they do for their clubs....

...IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PLAYING FOR THEIR CLUBS.

They are playing with players with whom they are less familiar, in positions they do not usually inhabit, for a manager they know less well after having trained less regularly.

I can't understand why this beef mince tastes different in this Chilli Con Carne... why doesn't it taste like it does in Spaghetti Bolgonese?

It makes me want to puke until I'm crying it out of my eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm 

badger wrote:
Marina Hyde in The Guardian:

To draw one eminently winnable group match is unfortunate, to draw two begins to look as if England are six kinds of crap

Ha! Wonder what she made of Italy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm 

dave wrote:
I can't help but notice that in the popular press players not selected thus far are increasing in talent and importance by the moment.

Yes! In the same way that ex-England Managers and former Prime Ministers experience an increase in affection directly proportionate to the amount of time they've been out of office.

Apart from Hoddle and Thatcher. They're still cunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 pm 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

It's still early doors.

(that said, we had our block of flats' annual garden party on Friday evening, and in hindsight I'm pleased that I decided to stay outside drinking the free wine and listening to 80-something year old Mrs Cantrill from flat 21 tell everyone about 18 times in increasingly slurred and gin-soaked speech that her husband flew Dakotas over Siberia and always said the we should have bombed Berlin off the map, rather than going inside to watch england v algeria)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 pm 

Marksy: any views on the relative merits / demerits of the Dakota? I'm sure you must have a view on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:50 pm 

Far too many to write down here.

Put it this way, when it comes to military transports of the late forties/early fifties I'm an Avro York man and I make no bones about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:26 pm 

The Handley Page Hastings notwithstanding?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:53 pm 

Never mention that aircraft in my presence again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm 

The Douglas DC-3 is my favourite aeroplane, and not because of the name. It just looks so stylish and instantly evokes visions of adventures in far-flung lands...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm 

I'm a little intimidated (or unnerved) by the range of plane knowledge just displayed. Is this something we're all supposed to know?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next